Contact Us for a Free Consultation (816) 615-5555

Divorce Advice & Resources

Reverting To Your Maiden Name After Divorce

Posted by Unknown | Apr 12, 2020 | 0 Comments

reverting to your maiden name after divorce

Drama-Free Divorce can guide you if you're searching for information about 'reverting to your maiden name after divorce'. We strive to meet the individual needs of every client with guidance that is customized to them. We also provide affordable divorce financing options in Kansas City and Missouri with monthly payments starting at $500. Our fixed-cost pricing ensures no surprise financial commitment. Our process avoids court appearances so you can manage this difficult time more easily. Plus our lawyers are understanding, compassionate individuals who treat every case professionally yet sensitively.

Returning to your maiden surname after divorce is both rewarding and challenging, so this article will discuss the necessary documents, steps to take, benefits of hiring a divorce lawyer, as well as when is the optimal time and method to hire one.


What documents will I need in order to change my name?

Gathering documents is the first step to returning to your maiden surname, so here is a checklist to assist in this endeavor:

  • Marriage Certificate: When initiating name change proceedings, an original marriage certificate is an essential document to locate.
  • Divorce Decree: Secure a certified copy of your divorce decree that dissolves your marriage and gives you permission to revert back to your maiden surname.
  • Social Security Card: To update your Social Security record with your maiden/new name, complete and submit all the appropriate forms.


How do I change back to my maiden name after divorce?

Reducing the complexity of changing your name involves several steps and may differ depending on where you reside. Here is a simplified guide.

  • Completion of Forms: Submitting the appropriate forms will allow you to request a name change. These forms include petition and order forms for name changes.
  • File with the Court: Submit all completed divorce forms at once to the court where your separation took place.
  • Notification of Name Change: Notify all pertinent institutions about your name change.


How long does changing my name back to my maiden name after divorce take?

Name change processes typically take several weeks or months to complete depending on factors like court speed and the quality of documents submitted for consideration.


Why hiring a divorce attorney is better than not having one?

Divorce attorneys can assist in expediting the process. Here's why:

  • Legal Expertise: Attorneys with experience can guide you efficiently through this complex process.
  • Reduce Stress: An attorney can alleviate some of your stress during a challenging period by handling all the legal paperwork for you.
  • Avoid Mistakes: Legal professionals can assist in helping you avoid errors in your documentation and reduce complications.


When should one hire an attorney?

Timing is everything when it comes to hiring an attorney, so when should you seek legal advice?

  • Divorce involves numerous complicated legal considerations.
  • Communicating with an ex-spouse can be challenging.
  • If you are confused by the legal system.


What are the criteria for finding an experienced attorney?

Consider these criteria when searching for a lawyer.

  • Experience: When hiring an attorney to represent family law and divorce cases, look for one with experience in these fields.
  • Communication: Select an attorney who communicates well and keeps you up-to-date.
  • Reputation: Review and testimonials can help to judge an attorney's reputation.


Why Choose Drama-Free Divorce:

Drama-Free Divorce stands apart from its competition by providing comprehensive assistance. Why we are the ideal solution:

  • Expertise: Our lawyers specialize in family law and are adept at managing divorce cases.
  • Communication: We prioritize open and honest communication to keep you fully informed at all times. This ensures you remain up-to-date.
  • Reputation: Our firm's excellent standing is demonstrated through customer testimonials and positive reviews.


Suggestions for Action

Consider these actions when starting on your journey:

  • Accumulate Documents: Gather all necessary documents such as your divorce decree and marriage certificate.
  • Consult a Divorce Lawyer: Arrange for an initial consultation to discuss your case with a divorce lawyer.
  • Initiate the Name Change Process:  Submit all required forms to the court and officially change your name.
  • Notify Relevant Institutions: Be sure to update your name at the Social Security Administration, and any financial institutions where applicable.
  • Seek Emotional Support: Navigating a name change can be emotionally trying, so reach out for support from family, friends, or counseling services as much as possible.

Reclaiming your own identity can be an exciting, fulfilling journey with the appropriate support and guidance. Contact us today at 816 615-5555 or send us an email on our Contact Page.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Drama-Free Divorce LLC is committed to answering your questions about Divorce law issues in Kansas City, MO and KS.

I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Read our blog on Divorce Law in Kansas City.

Drama-Free Divorce LLC
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm