Contact Us for a Free Consultation (816) 615-5555

Divorce Advice & Resources

What Can I Do If My Ex-Spouse Won’t Pay Child Support?

Posted by Unknown | Feb 20, 2021 | 0 Comments

what can i do if my ex-spouse won’t pay child support

At Drama-Free Divorce, our commitment is unwavering to assisting individuals looking for solutions to the question 'What can I do if my ex-spouse won't pay child support?' We offer affordable financial plans starting at $500 monthly with transparent pricing to make sure there are no unexpected costs and prevent the stress and anxiety of court proceedings by engaging our services - you can trust in our compassionate legal team as they are there for you during these trying times.

This article offers advice on how to approach an ex-spouse who refuses to pay child support. We discuss legal options and advantages associated with hiring an attorney as well as when and if it would be wise to limit contact. Furthermore, we provide tips for finding someone who can assist with these complex matters.


What happens if I do not receive child support from my ex-spouse?

Divorce can be an emotionally draining experience for all parties involved, particularly if there are children involved. You, as an ex-spouse, may become frustrated and confused if your former partner falls behind on payments or refuses to comply with court orders. You must know your rights and how to enforce court orders against your former partner.


What can be done when an ex-partner refuses to pay child support?

Hold back on letting emotions cloud your judgment, and document everything relating to missed payments - such as dates and amounts. Keeping this record may come in handy later if you decide to file a lawsuit against them.

  • Communication: Communicate openly and civilly with your former spouse to avoid financial hardships that might lead to missed payments, and possibly arrears. A simple chat may be all it takes to solve this issue.
  • Mediation: If communication fails, consider mediation. A neutral third party can facilitate discussions and help identify any possible agreements or compromises that might exist between two parties.
  • Connect with Your Local Child Support Agency: In most jurisdictions, child support orders must be enforced by government agencies, contact them with all pertinent documentation to do so.
  • Seek Legal Counsel: If all else fails, consult an attorney.


Can I Stop Contact If My Ex Won't Pay Child Support?

Child support and visitation are separate legal issues, with courts usually disfavoring attempts at using one issue to influence or punish another. Therefore, it's not advised that an ex-spouse deny their visitation rights in response to nonpayment of child support. Rather you should address that matter legally through appropriate channels.


Why hiring a divorce attorney is better than not having one?

Hiring an attorney when dealing with an ex-spouse who refuses to pay is often the best approach. Here's why:

  • Legal Expertise: Attorneys with experience in family law can offer invaluable guidance about your rights and options.
  • Mediation: Lawyers can act as mediators to assist both you and your former partner in reaching an agreement without resorting to court action.
  • Enforcement: If negotiations fail, legal enforcement of your child support order can help ensure compliance.
  • Documentation: Attorneys have the expertise to gather and present evidence in court that will bolster your case.


When should you hire an attorney?

  • Your former spouse has an issue paying child support and it has remained outstanding.
  • Communication or mediation attempts have failed.
  • Should your circumstances change (e.g. job loss or increased income), you may require modification of your child support order.


What Are the Criteria for Finding a Good Attorney?

Consider these factors when searching for an attorney:

  • Experience: When hiring an attorney for child support and family law issues, look for one with experience handling such cases.
  • Reputation: Review reviews written by other customers, and inquire of family or friends who have faced similar experiences for advice or recommendations.
  • Communication: Choose an attorney who listens and responds appropriately.
  • Fees: So it is essential to discuss fees at the outset to make sure they fit within your budget.
  • Track Record: Discuss their history in handling child support cases.


Why Choose Drama-Free Divorce?

At Drama-Free Divorce, we specialize in child support and other family law cases. Our dedicated team of attorneys is dedicated to advocating on behalf of the best interests of children. With an excellent track record of success, our firm prides itself on open and transparent communications with its clients as well as flexible payment methods and reasonable fees.


Suggestions for Action 

  • Start By Gathering Documentation: Record all missed payments and failed communication attempts, along with their details.
  • Engage in Open Communication: Involve yourself in open conversations regarding this matter with both of you.
  • Mediation: Mediators can help bridge any communication gaps to bring peace.
  • Contact Child Support Agency: When inquiring about child support arrangements for your children, present all documents needed by the local child support agency.
  • Consult a Family Law Attorney: If the issue cannot be resolved on its own, an experienced family law attorney may provide guidance in helping to find solutions.

Confronting child support issues may seem intimidating, but with legal representation and the proper approach, it should become manageable. Doing this will safeguard both your children's well-being and parental rights. Contact us today at 816 615-5555 or send us an email on our Contact Page.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Drama-Free Divorce LLC is committed to answering your questions about Divorce law issues in Kansas City, MO and KS.

I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Read our blog on Divorce Law in Kansas City.

Drama-Free Divorce LLC
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm