Drama-Free Divorce's goal is to provide timely advice to those searching for "why second and third marriages are more prone to divorce?" Missouri and Kansas residents can also take advantage of flexible financing options with rates starting as low as $500 per month, provided by our dedicated legal team. You won't be caught unawares by any charges as we operate transparently and avoid court appearances altogether with ease thanks to our skilled and caring legal team.
Due to various factors, second and third marriages tend to end more frequently in divorce than earlier ones, including baggage from past relationships and unrealistic expectations. This article will present ten reasons that suggest second and third marriages may experience greater difficulties, these reasons are supported by research and expert opinion. We will also offer advice on when and how to hire a divorce lawyer as well as introduce our firm as a reliable option when going through divorce proceedings.
Rates of Second and Third Marriage Divorces
Statistics on divorce and marriage can be very telling. Though first marriages do have their challenges, they tend to fare better than subsequent ones in terms of success rates. These statistics reveal an interesting picture:
- First marriages: 41% of first marriages end in divorce.
- Second marriages: the divorce rate increases to 60%.
- Third marriages: Divorce rates tend to be much higher - approximately 73%.
Let's delve further into why second and subsequent marriages tend to be more contentious.
10 Reasons why second and third marriages are more likely to fail
- Baggage from Previous Relationships: One of the primary factors leading to second and third marriage divorce is unresolved issues from prior relationships, leaving unresolved conflicts or feelings unaddressed and creating tension in a new union.
- Expectations that are Unrealistic: Unfortunately, many individuals enter their second or third marriage with unrealistic expectations. They assume they have learned from past errors and will make sure everything runs smoothly this time. Unrealistic expectations often lead to frustration and stress.
- Blended Family Challenges: In second and third marriages, families often consist of members from previous relationships who come together under one roof for various reasons. Step-parenting can be particularly taxing, co-parenting should be managed closely so as to minimize tensions within the new household and avoid complex step-parenting scenarios that arise later on.
- Financial Strain: Financial issues in subsequent marriages can become increasingly complex as dividends of assets and liabilities arise, often leading to disagreements between partners.
- Different Life Stages: Divorcing couples who marry later often come at different stages in life. One might be nearing retirement and the other still working toward building their career, which can create tension.
- External Pressures: External factors, such as family disapproval or social expectations, can have an outsized influence on second and subsequent marriages.
- Lack of Communication: Communication is of utmost importance in any relationship. However, in subsequent marriages, this must become even more urgent as prior experiences may obstruct an open and honest dialogue.
- Trust Issues: Past betrayals or infidelity can have lasting repercussions for future marriages, making it hard to build trust again.
- Parents from Previous Marriages: Parenting problems may arise when dealing with children from previous marriages, leading to strain in relationships over issues like discipline and responsibility.
- Lack of Conflict Resolution Skills: Peaceful resolution is of vital importance in marriage, particularly for second and subsequent marriages where issues from prior unions remain unresolved.
Why hiring a divorce attorney is better than going without one?
Divorce can be an arduous legal process that often necessitates professional assistance. Here are several compelling arguments in favor of hiring a divorce attorney:
- Legal Experience: Divorce lawyers possess extensive knowledge of family law and will protect your rights throughout the divorce process.
- Objective Advice: An attorney can provide objective guidance during times of high emotion to help make informed decisions and assist with making better choices.
- Paperwork and Procedures: Divorce paperwork and procedures can be confusing and stressful. Lawyers provide invaluable help in streamlining this process to reduce stress levels and ensure accuracy.
- Negotiation Skills: Divorce can often involve negotiations over assets, child support payments, and custody arrangements. Attorneys are experienced negotiators who can represent your best interests during these proceedings.
- Avoiding Costly Errors: Divorces handled on your own can result in costly mistakes with long-term repercussions, so having legal assistance to guide the proceedings may help to steer you away from these pitfalls.
When should you hire an attorney?
It is important to know when you should seek legal advice.
- Your spouse and you share many assets to divide.
- Child custody and visitation issues are highly contentious.
- An apparent history of domestic abuse or violence exists.
- Are you unaware of your legal options and rights?
- Your spouse has hired an attorney.
What criteria must I follow to choose an excellent attorney?
Hiring the appropriate divorce attorney can make a world of difference. Here are a few criteria you should keep in mind when searching for one.
- Experience: Look for an attorney with proven success in divorce and family law cases.
- Reputation: Reviews and testimonials can provide insight into an attorney's reputation and client satisfaction.
- Communication: Select an attorney who keeps you well-informed and communicates effectively.
- Compatibility: Compatibility between you and your attorney is of utmost importance. They should be able to discuss sensitive topics openly with you.
- Fee Structure: When hiring an attorney, make sure their fee structure aligns with your budget.
Why Choose Drama-Free Divorce?
Drama-Free Divorce specializes in all areas of divorce and family law cases, having over two decades of experience successfully helping our clients navigate through all the complexities associated with separation. Our commitment to professionalism and integrity is evidenced by many satisfied clients.
At our firm, we take great pride in serving the needs of each of our clients during their divorce proceedings. Our fee structure makes our services accessible and affordable.
Suggestions for Action
Being proactive when faced with a divorce in a second or subsequent marriage is vitally important.
- Assess Your Situation: Take stock of the problems in your marriage and assess their severity.
- Consider Marriage Counseling: Marriage counseling can address issues related to communication and trust within your relationship.
- Consult an Attorney: If it looks like divorce is imminent, consult with a divorce attorney to help you better understand your options and understand which route is right for you.
- Research Your Attorney: Do your research to select an attorney who can best represent your needs and represent them effectively.
- Stay Informed: Acquaint yourself with the legal requirements and divorce procedures specific to your location.
- Prioritize Self-care: Divorce can be emotionally exhausting. Reach out for support from family and friends during this trying time.
Though second and third marriages may experience higher divorce rates than their first ones, they remain doable with proper communication and support. Contact us today at 816 615-5555 or send us an email on our Contact Page.